The Degree Programme in Information Technology
Profile of the Programme
Bachelor of Engineering, 240 ects
ICT, software engineering and embedded systems design for energy industry
Key Learning Outcomes
Today, information technology (IT) diffuses into our working life, as well as in our everyday life, in many ways. This automatically results in a growing need for IT experts in modern society.
At Vaasan ammattikorkeakoulu VAMK, University of Applied Sciences, the degree programme in Information Technology has its roots in the local energy-related industry. We aim at producing experts who can help the large international companies and local players in their product development and technical applications related with IT.
As an IT student, you will become familiar with certain programming languages, such as C and Java, as well as with some essential technical tools, e.g., IP applications, wireless networks, Internet programming, and a variety of embedded systems. The advanced professional studies focus on internationalisation and teamwork in projects, such as our NAO humanoid robot team.
Our students make most of their practical exercises in the modern laboratory premises of Technobothnia. You will focus on technical applications from the practical point of view, keeping your feet at today, but leaning toward the future.
Watch our NAO humanoid robot playing the Candy Crush Saga game on Facebook.
A VAMK-graduated IT engineer is a multi-talented person, who understands technology and business but also has excellent competence in logical deduction and communication. A typical working environment is energy-related industry, where IT engineers work in the field of design, marketing, sales or research. Further, an IT engineer typically works in production, product development and programming for electronic devices. IT engineers also build connections between electronic devices and data networks. It is quite possible to find oneself as an independent entrepreneur in the broad field of IT, too.
An expert in Information Technology
- is versatile and entrepreneurial and possesses a logical power of deduction as well as communicative skills
- acts in the industry of electronics and information technology, for example, in design, research, marketing, production or product development, as an independent entrepreneur or in international positions in export companies
Our degree program is divided into:
- Basic and Professional Studies (145 cr)
- Advanced Professional Studies (40 cr)
- Optional Studies (10 cr)
- Practical Training (30 cr)
- Thesis (15 cr)
Each credit unit corresponds to about 27 hours of student work, on average. In our university, you may specialise in Software Engineering or Embedded Systems. We also offer a 10 cr module in Telecommunications. Further, you may complete a 10 cr module in business studies.
Basic and Professional Studies
- General Engineering Skills
- Language Studies
- Electrical Engineering and Electronics
- Basics of ICT Skills
- Basics of Telecommunications
- Basics of Software Engineering
- Basics of Embedded Systems
Advanced Professional Studies
- Software Engineering: Applying modern designing and programming methods for development of information systems.
- Embedded Systems: Product development and programming for electronics devices. Connecting electronics devices to data networks.
Optional Studies 10 ects
Practical Training 30 ects (5 months)
Thesis 15 ects
Application Period 10.-25.1.2017 at www.studyinfo.fi
More information: Head of Degree Programme Seppo Mäkinen
Apurva studies Information Technlogy at VAMK. Find out his thougths!