International Training

The ability to work in an international environment is considered important in working life. Therefore it is recommended that you complete part of your practical training abroad. In fact, in English-medium degree programmes you are expected to complete a training or study period of at least 10-15 credits abroad.

As a rule, you are yourself responsible for finding a placement. The purpose of these pages is to help you to get started.

If you find an interesting placement, make sure that it meets the requirements of the degree programme with the teacher responsible for training.


You can apply for an international placement through CIMO (Centre for International Mobility) which coordinates the international exchange in Finland. The applications go through CIMO that forwards them to the employers. CIMO arranges an application period four times a year; the application period for the IAESTE placements in the field of engineering and technology is in February - March. CIMO also coordinates  the Leonardo da Vinci project whose aim is to develop vocational training in Europe by supporting mobility and co-operation projects.


EURES is an employment exchange network that covers the EEA (European Economic Area) countries.  In Finland the EURES operations are coordinated by the Ministry of Labour. The EURES services include employment exchange and information and guidance services. You will find a lot of useful information on jobs and living in the EAA countries in the EURES portal. It is also possible to submit a CV here. It is worthwhile to utilise the contact information available in the portal. If you find a company or an organisation in your own field that you are interested in, you can send in an application and CV to the company although the company is not looking for a trainee at that moment. It does not hurt to try!

More Information

If you have any questions regarding practical training abroad, contact the international office or the placements coordinator in your unit.

More information in Exchange Abroad.