Prospective Degree Students

How much does it cost to study in a polytechnic/UAS?

Tuition fees and scholarship schemes will be introduced for non-EU citizens that commence studies in Finland 1.8.2017 onwards. Minimum fee will be 1500 euros but higher education institution can independently decide to charge higher fees as well. 

The fees will not concern those non-EU/EEA students who

  • have started their studies before autumn 2017
  • are enrolled in Doctoral/PhD level studies and research
  • study in degree programmes taught in Finnish or Swedish
  • are EU/EEA citizens or their family members (spouse / child)
  • Exchange students
  • are already residing in Finland on a permanent basis (i.e. are equivalent to EU citizens -> continuous (A) or permanent (P/P-EU) residence permit type or EU Blue Card

Students are also expected to pay for their living costs, travel costs, study materials etc. Polytechnics’/UAS’ students can pay an annual membership fee to the student organisation SAMOK to get a student card. The student card grants certain benefits and discounts e.g. on travel etc.

More information on tuition fees at VAMK.

Finnish students are entitled to student financial aid from KELA. Non-Finnish students are entitled to student financial aid only if they have a valid residence permit and have lived in Finland permanently for two yeas for a purpose other than studies.

A non-EU student must prove that he/she is able to cover his/her living costs in Finland during the studies. The required minimum sum is 560 euros per month or 6720 euros per year. Non-EU students studying in Finland in a full-time degree programme for a minimum of two years also need health insurance that covers the cost of medicine.